Intended Audience: Collaborative Instructors
This article pertains to courses taught by local teachers as part of a collaborative partnership.
Collaborative Instructor's may not have a smart device to use when setting up multi-factor authentication (MFA), also known as two-factor authentication (2FA). This document describes how to setup an "Authenticator" to allow for MFA/2FA for the Student Learning Portal (SLP) to sign in without the use of a smart phone or tablet.
- First, open the Chrome browser using your laptop/computer.
- Next, visit the Authenticator app within the Chrome Web Store.
- At this point tap the Add to Chrome button in the top right corner.
- At this point, the confirmation page will open and you will need to tap the Add Extension button.
- Now that the extension has been installed, visit and login to the Student Learning Portal website.
- When prompted to "Enable two-factor authentication, click your extensions button in the Chrome tool bar and then tap Authenticator in the Access Requested section.
- Next, tap the Scan QR Code icon on the menu and then highlight the QR code on the screen as directed.
- When prompted, tap OK.
Note: You will need to work quickly on steps 9 and 10. The authenticator rotates codes quickly and will change colors to indicate a rotation is about to occur.
- Once again open the extension menu and select Authenticator. You should now have an entry for Michigan Virtual.
- At this point, copy the code provided and paste into the 6-digit code within the MFA prompt and then tap the SET UP TWO-FACTOR NOW button.
- Shortly after you should see the confirmation that your MFA has been activated. Tap the Continue button to proceed to the sign in process.
Note: It is recommended that you logout of the SLP and then log back in again to test this MFA setup.
- The next time you are prompted for 2FA, click your extensions again and open “Authenticator” to generate a code for this login. Copy the code and tap the Verify button to finish signing in.