Intended Audience: Instructors, Mentors, Collaborative Admins
This article pertains to courses taught by a local teacher as part of a collaborative partnership.
When students are created in the Student Learning Portal (SLP), they are required to have a guardian of record added. Upon enrollment in their first course, the guardian of record will receive email communication (to the email address on their account) that states an account has been created for them and includes instructions for accessing their account. In the event that a guardian account needs to be added after enrollment, please follow the steps detailed below.
- First, navigate to the SLP Students page and locate the student that needs to have a guardian added. Click the student name.
- On the student information page, select Guardian Accounts from the left navigation menu.
- In the Guardian List, ensure that the account does not already exist. If the account already exists, you will see the guardian information for the student.
- To add the new guardian, complete the information in the yellow boxes and check the Reset password box.
- Tap Create.
- The new guardian will appear in the Guardian list now and they will be sent an email regarding their account creation and access.
- In order for instructors to be able to copy guardians on messages sent through the SLP Enrollments page, the guardian must also be listed as a Guardian of Record for the student. The guardian(s) of record for a student can only be viewed or added by a Collaborative Admin or by users at Michigan Virtual. If a Collaborative Admin is not able to assist, please reach out to your contact at Michigan Virtual.
As a Collaborative Admin, the steps to add a Guardian of Record are as follows:
- Navigate to the student’s information page in the SLP.
- From the left navigation menu, select Edit Information.
- Scroll down to the Guardian Contact Information section.
- Enter the information for the new Guardian of Record.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Save.