Intended Audience: Mentors
The Brightspace platform provides mentors with the Engagement Dashboard to track student engagement, which can be useful to identify students who might require additional support to improve their course performance. This guide explains the steps to access the dashboard, filter it, interact with the summary view, use the results table, and export results.
Access the Dashboard
Instructions for accessing the Engagement Dashboard:
- First, login to the Student Learning Portal (SLP).
- Next, tap Go to Courses from the left menu.
- Then choose the appropriate icon to launch Brightspace.
- Once the homepage loads, select Insights Portal from the Data and Insights drop-down menu located in the menu bar.
- Now click on the Engagement dashboard tile to open it.
Filter the Dashboard
To filter the results that appear in the dashboard, follow these steps:
- First, select the Semester drop-down field.
- Next, check one or more semesters from the menu.
This will filter the dashboard and update the Summary View section.
Interacting with the Summary View
When interacting with the Summary View in the dashboard, you can use the following blocks to get more detailed information about your students' performance:
- The Results block shows the number of students represented in the dashboard charts. You can also find a table with the students' data in the Results section at the bottom of the page.
- The Overdue Assignments block displays the number of students with overdue assignments. Click on the linked number to see the list of these students. Note that group assignments are not included in the metrics.
- The Discussion Activity block shows the number of discussions created, replied to, and read. Hover over a pie segment to see a pop-up with additional information. Click on a segment to filter the data for the students represented. This information is also summarized in the Results section.
- The System Access block indicates the number of students who haven't accessed the system in the past 14 days. Click on the linked number to see the list of these students.
- The Current Grade block displays the number of students who achieved grades, shown in 10th percentile groupings. Click on one or more bars to see the student data in the Results section.
- The Time in Content vs. Grade block is a chart that shows students' grades plotted against the amount of time they spent in the content. Hover over a quadrant to see information about the students within it. Click on a quadrant to filter the students and courses in that quadrant. The scatterplot changes dynamically when you apply filters to the report. Data points in the top left quadrant represent learners with above-average grades and below-average time in content. Data points in the top right quadrant represent learners with above-average grades and above-average time in content. Data points in the lower left quadrant represent learners with below-average grades and below-average time in content. Data points in the lower right quadrant represent learners with below-average grades and above-average time in content.
- The Course Access bar chart shows the number of days since learners last accessed the course. Hover over a bar to see a pop-up with more information. Click on one or more bars to filter the data for the students and courses where the student has accessed a course in that time range.
- The Content View bar chart aggregates the number of times students viewed course content. Use this information to understand offline content viewed or downloaded. Click on one or more bars to filter the data for students and courses where the student visited a course the specified number of times.
To remove filters applied using the blocks above, click the "X" next to the filter next to "Showing only," or select Clear All.
Using the Results Table
The user list table in the Engagement Dashboard displays all the students included in the query results by default. If you apply filters or change the displayed courses, the table updates to reflect the new query results. For each user, the table provides the following information:
- First and last name, username, and User ID
- Number of courses the user has in the query results
- Average grade for the user's courses in the query results
- Average time spent in course content for the user's courses in the query results
- Average discussion activity (threads created, threads read, and replies) for the user's courses in the query results
- Last time the learner accessed the system
From the Results section, you can:
- Use the Email link to directly email one or more students from the Engagement Dashboard Results section.
- Click a student's linked name in the table to access their individual Learner Engagement Dashboard and gain insights into their engagement across their courses without aggregating the data from other students.
- The bottom of the list shows the total number of users displayed. You can choose to view additional students by selecting the next button or choosing the number of students to be displayed per page.
To export the results, simply tap on the Export to CSV button. This will enable you to combine the results with other data or perform additional analytics on the content. After exporting the file, open it to view the information.