Student’s should explore Brightspace and develop a comfort with navigating through content prior to starting course work. This article describes how to navigate through the various areas of the course using the different menus.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- First, the Michigan Virtual logo icon (top left) will return users to the Brightspace landing page. This page will show your course(s) and all system-related announcements.
- Next, tap the Select A Course (waffle, grid) icon to quickly access your course(s).
- Now select the Subscription Alerts (chat boxes) icon to view discussion board items.
- Next, select the Update Alerts (bell) icon to view important messages.
- Finally, manage settings for your account my tapping the Profile icon followed by your name.
- Begin by selecting My Courses. Tapping this will display the Brightspace landing page and change your Navbar options to My Courses and Getting Help.
- To return to your course, simply tap the course title tile within your My Courses widget and then continue to step 2.
- The Getting Help option will open a new window and allow you to view the various contacts to engage should you need assistance with your course.
- Next, tap My Progress to view your current grade in this course, discussion post statuses, assignment submissions, completed quizzes, and course login history.
- Orientation will allow you to access the Student Orientation to Online Learning.
- Then, select Class Homepage to return to the class announcements and teacher feed.
- Next, select Course Activities drop-down view the following:
- Tap Lessons to view and complete the lessons in the course. As you navigate through the lesson items, a check mark will be displayed showing you which items you have viewed. This does not mean that the lesson activities have been completed.
- Select Assignments to view and/or complete assignments within the course.
- Tap Discussions to view and participate in the Class Discussion Board. This page also allows you to adjust your subscription settings.
- Select Quizzes to view and/or complete quizzes within the course.
- Continue by selecting the Course Tools drop-down to then choose one of the following:
- Grades to view your overall score as well as a table that contains each graded assignment and the possible points.
- Tap Resources to display a list of links as they pertain to your course.
- Select System Check to perform a check to ensure that your browser is properly configured to use the system.
Course Quick Access Menu
- First, select Start Here to locate the welcome letter from your instructor, pacing guides, Unit 0: Student Orientation, and an introduction to the discussion boards.
- Next, tap Syllabus to display the full course outline and description in a new window.
- Then select Grades to view your overall score as well as a table that contains each graded assignment and the possible points. This is the same page displayed when tapping Grades from the Course Level Menu.
- Next, tap Getting Help to provide the appropriate methods to obtaining support with this course.
- Finally, select Policies to view all Michigan Virtual policies.
Teacher Feed is used by instructors to engage in conversations and push assignments through this feed.
MV Instructor Widget
- First, locate this widget on the lower right side of the page (below the Course Quick Access Menu).
- Next, review your instructors contact information.
- Then tap the Read More button to view the instructor’s full profile in a new window.
- Finally, close the browser tab when finished.