Intended Audience: Mentors
The Engagement Dashboard located in Brightspace allows mentors to view student engagement. This tool can help to identify students who may need help getting back on track in their course.
Access the Dashboard
- First, login to the Student Learning Portal (SLP).
- Next, tap Go to Courses from the left menu.
- Then select the appropriate icon to open Brightspace.
- When the homepage is shown, tap Insights Portal from the "Data and Insights" drop-down in the menu bar.
- Now select the Engagement dashboard tile.
Filter the Dashboard
- First, select the Semester drop-down field to filter the results that appear in the dashboard.
- As a result, the "Summary View" section will include the Results summary, Discussion Activity pie chart, Overdue Assignments summary, System Access summary, Current Grade bar chart, Time in Content vs. Grade scatterplot, Course Access bar chart, and Content View bar chart.
Interacting with the Summary View
- The Results block indicates that number of students represented by the charts in the dashboard. Each student will also appear in a table within the Results section at the bottom of the dashboard.
- The Overdue Assignments block displays the number of students who have one or more overdue assignments. Please note that group assignments are not included in the Overdue assignment metrics. Tap the linked number in the block to display the students.
- The Discussion Activity block displays the number of discussions created, replied to and read. Hover over a pie segment to display a pop-up to display additional information. This is helpful for understanding the proportion of passive and active social engagement. Tap a segment to automatically filter the data for the students represented. This will also be summarized in the Results section at the bottom of the page.
- The System Access block indicates the number of students who have not accessed the system in the previous 14 days. Tap the linked number in the block to display these students.
- The Current Grade block displays the number of students who have achieved grades, displayed in 10th percentile groupings. Tap one or more bars to return student data in the Results section.
- The Time in Content vs. Grade block is a chart that plots student's grades against the amount of time they spend in the content. Hover over a quadrant to display information about the students within that quadrant. Click a quadrant to filter students and courses in that quadrant. When you apply filters to the report, the scatterplot also changes to reflect the new query results. For example, if you apply the filter for students who have less than 60% in a course that we used earlier, the scatterplot also dynamically changes to represent that filter. Data points in the top left quadrant plot learners that have an above average grade and spend below average time in the content. Data points in the top right quadrant plot learners that have an above average grade and spend above average time in the content. Data points in the lower left quadrant plot learners that have a below average grade and spend below average time in the content. Data points in the lower right quadrant plot learners that have a below average grade and spend above average time in the content.
- The Course Access bar chart indicates the number of days since learners last accessed the course. Hover over one of the Course Access bars, a pop-up appears with detailed information about the bar. If you click one or more bars, the dashboard filters the returned data for the students and courses where the student has accessed a course in that time range.
- The Content View bar chart aggregates the number of times students looked at course content. Use this information to review how many times items in the course content tool, such as images, PDFs, or Word files, have been viewed to better understand content viewed offline or that was downloaded. Click one or more bars to filter the returned data for students and courses where the student visited a course the specified number of times.
To remove the filters applied using the blocks above, tap the X next to the filter next to "Showing only" or select Clear All.
Using the Results Table
The default view of the user list table contains all the students reflected in the dashboard query results. When you change the courses displayed on the dashboard or apply filters, the students that appear in the table also change to display those reflected in the new query results. For each user, the following information is included in the table:
- First and last name, username and User id
- Number of the user’s courses reflected in the query results
- Average grade across the user's courses reflected in the query results
- Average time in the content for the courses reflected in the query results
- Average discussion activity for threads created, threads read, and replies for the courses reflected in the query results.
- The last time the learner accessed the system.
From the Results section:
- Tap the Email link to email one or more students directly from the Results section of the Engagement Dashboard.
- Click the linked student name in the results table to see their Learner Engagement Dashboard, and learn more about engagement across their courses without aggregating the data from other students.
- At the bottom of the list, there is a total number of users displayed. To view additional students, tap the next button or choose the number of students to be displayed on this page.
- Tap Export to CSV to export the results. This will allow you to combine the results with other data or perform other analytics on the content.
- Next, open the file to view the information.