Intended Audience: Students
Some Michigan Virtual courses do not accept assignments in Google format. If you are using a Chromebook, you may need to download a file in Microsoft Word (.docx) format. After downloading the file, you can either convert the single file or convert multiple files from Google to Microsoft format. This process describes both options.
Download MS Word (docx) Files on a Chromebook
In some courses, you may need to download Word (docx) files for assignments. If you use a Chromebook that doesn't have the Word program, you may get a blank screen when you click on the download link. To download MS Word Files on your Chromebook, follow these steps:
- Two-finger click on the link and select "Save link as" to save the file.
- Go to your files and drag the saved file to Google Drive.
- Open Google Drive and find the file in your recent files. You can then edit it as needed.
- To turn in the file(s), use one of the following options:
Convert a Single Google File to Microsoft Office Format
To convert a Google Drive file to Microsoft Office format, follow the steps below:
- Open the file in the appropriate Google editor.
- Click on the File menu and select Download As.
- Choose the Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint format that you need.
- The file will be downloaded to your Chromebook.
- Complete the action by locating the file and attaching it to your assignment. Find the file and attach it to your assignment to complete the conversion process.
Convert Multiple Files from Google to Microsoft Office Format (Google Drive)
To convert multiple files from Google Drive to Microsoft Office format, please follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Google account on the Google Drive website.
- Select the files you want to convert.
- Right-click on the chosen documents and choose Download.
- Your browser will download a zip file containing all of the selected files.