Intended Audience: Collaborative Instructors
This article pertains to courses taught by a local teacher as part of a collaborative partnership.
In Brightspace, instructors have the ability to provide accommodations for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan. One way to do this is by granting special access to quizzes and modifying their settings. This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to grant special access to students and apply accommodations to a quiz.
Please note that the features and permissions outlined in this article are not applicable to Michigan Virtual instructors.
- First, access your Brightspace course, tap the Course Admin link and then Quizzes.
- Next, select the quiz that requires accommodations, click on the drop-down menu next to the quiz name, and choose Edit.
- Then expand the Availability Dates & Conditions section and scroll down to the "Special Access" section and then tap Manage Special Access.
- Next, confirm that "Allow selected users special access to this quiz" is selected, and click on the Add Users to Special Access button.
- At this point, make desired changes to the quiz settings, such as adjusting the due date and availability, time limit, or number of attempts allowed.
- For time limits, you can choose between Recommended Time Limit, where the limit is displayed but not enforced, and Enforced Time Limit, where you can set a new time limit, multiply the default limit by a multiplier, or add additional minutes. You can also assign an alternative grace period for after the time limit has been exceeded and make decisions about what happens once the time limit has been exceeded. You also have the option of No Time Limit.
- For attempts allowed, click on Override attempts allowed and choose a specific number of attempts or unlimited attempts. For 2-10 attempts, additional options can be set so that the extra attempt is only available if certain criteria have been met.
- Finally, select the students you wish to apply the new quiz settings for by checking the box next to their name, and then click on the Save button.